How to clean your braces
- Start by rinsing your mouth out with mouthwash or water to loosen food particles that might be stuck in and around your braces.
- Using an interdental brush, clean in between every bracket. With a soft-bristle toothbrush, brush at a 45° angle and clean the wires, making sure to brush your teeth from top to bottom.
- Making circular motions, gently brush the gum line. Don’t rush when you brush! Make sure you get in all those hard-to-reach areas.
- Time to floss! Thread the floss carefully underneath the main wire and gently move the floss up and down between your teeth.
- Finally, rinse your mouth out with water or mouthwash and double-check that you cleaned your teeth and braces thoroughly!
Our team at Hess Orthodontics is happy to answer any questions you have about cleaning your braces. It’s never too late to improve the look and function of your smile! Book a complimentary consultation today!
How to take care of your braces
Caring for your braces is more involved than just maintaining good oral hygiene. Making some simple lifestyle changes can help you protect your braces investment and avoid emergency appointments.
Changing your diet is imperative to keep your braces in great shape. Avoid foods that damage braces easily, like caramel, hard candy, chips, popcorn, peanuts, gum, or taffy. Hess Orthodontics will give you a more exhaustive list of food and drinks that patients should abstain from during braces treatment.
If you are an athlete or live an active lifestyle, you are at higher risk of damaging your braces. Wearing a mouthguard can protect your teeth and braces if you fall or injure yourself during these physical activities.
Following these guidelines will make it easy to take good care of your braces! Careful cleaning and care will keep your braces in top condition and prevent future dental issues.
Protecting your smile and your investment
Hess Orthodontics understands that braces are an investment, and we want you to get the most out of your orthodontic treatment! Making these small lifestyle changes and properly cleaning your braces will give you beautiful, long-lasting results while maintaining your overall health.
Schedule your complimentary consultation to find out how Hess Orthodontics can help you get the smile of your dreams!